Boost Visual Voicemail now installs on Galaxy A32 5G

I was surprised to find this after installing Android 13 yesterday. My phone isn’t registered with any service right now so I’m wondering if it works with phones still registered with RW. Right now it says it is unable to provision my mailbox.

My Galaxy Note20 on Android 13 active on RW by DISH … with a fresh install of Boost visual voicemail, also reports ‘We were unable to provision your mailbox. Please contact customer service for assistance’
So it’s not just you, maybe it’s age-related :frowning:

That’s one of the perks of switching to Boost.

To me, the need to use a separate app for visual voicemail isn’t a perk. I prefer accessing visual voicemail from the Phone app itself. On iPhone, RW 5.0 (and presumably Boost) visual voicemail does not require a separate app. On Android, the app once known as DISH Visual Voicemail and since rebranded Boost Visual Voicemail (it’s the same app), at least, used to work with RW 5.0 albeit installing DISH Visual Voicemail was hit or miss.

If I must use a separate app for visual voicemail, I’d just as soon use Google Voice or YouMail.

Ironically, with the removal of RW’s proprietary technology, RW 4.0 visual voicemail is available from Google’s Phone app (the default on Google Pixels and Motorola phones) but not on Samsung phones. :person_shrugging:

I was disappointed to discover that my A32-5G (shipped from Boost warehouse) won’t work with the Samsung VVM app even after being “unlocked” by RW. The factory unlocked model ships with and works with VVM. Moreover, it seems that after being “unlocked” the phone continues to think it has a relationship with Boost.

Generally, a carrier unlocked phone is not the same as a factory unlocked phone. Specifically, while a carrier unlock allows for use on services other than the one to which the phone was originally locked, it does not change the phone’s firmware.

Take a look at Settings → About phone → Software information → Service provider software version.

I expect on your Galaxy A32 5G, you’ll note the string ends in DSH (for DISH).

On a factory unlocked Samsung phone the string ends in XAA (indicative of factory unlocked firmware).

If one wants to make a carrier unlocked model equivalent to its factory unlocked cousin, one would need to flash the factory unlocked firmware to the phone. Samsung offers a tool for this called Odin. I’m not suggesting you do so but if you were to flash the U1 (factory unlocked) firmware to your Galaxy A32 5G, I expect you’d find Samsung’s VVM app would work.

Similarly, I have a factory unlocked Motorola G Pure and a carrier unlocked 2022 Moto G Power acquired from RW after the 5.0 rollout. Motorola uses software channels. The factory unlocked Moto G Pure is on the North America Retail software channel. The carrier unlocked 2022 Moto G power is on the DISH Wireless software channel. Carrier unlocking the 2022 Moto G Power is insufficient to change the software channel.