I did call RW/Dish support about this issue, but the support agent was unable to locate or identify any issues via their systems. As I am typing this, mobile data and SMS seems to be working again, so this discussion is mainly to document the problem for others and future reference should it occur again.
For about a week, I was running into a problem where I could only use Wi-Fi on my device. I only noticed this when I needed to use SMS to verify an online service account and was unable to receive the code. When disabling Wi-Fi, my phone switched over to 5G (based on the iconography at the top of the screen); however, I was presented with a notification prompt to “sign in” to the Republic network. Pressing this resulted in a window that reported that my service was “interrupted” because I had either run out of data or missed a payment. The only instruction was to log into my account.
Once there, I noted that it listed 0.44GB data of a 1GB plan used. Additionally, I could see that the account was paid to current. In fact, there was still a little credit remaining. I recently purchased a new Galaxy A53 late November/early December 2022, and that included a month of service.
My original phone was the Galaxy A20 that I bought in April 2020 when I first signed up with RW at the start of the pandemic. It had essentially stopped connecting to the mobile service around October 2022 and could only operate over Wi-Fi. It was also reportedly not compatible with RW/Dish’s new service plans. I will readily admit that I did not research that issue enough to determine that I should have shopped around for a new service provider rather than sign up for the 5G plan. But here we are.
The discussion title mentions a discrepancy. My phone currently claims that I have only used around 25MB of mobile data this month. The previous month’s usage was around 325MB which entirely happened in the first half of that billing period. So even factoring in sloppy accounting from the service provider where we will just sum the two amounts, there is almost a 100MB difference.
Still, with RW/Dish listing my account as active, paid-in-full, and with about 50% of data remaining in the plan, it was very odd to encounter such service interruption. The customer support agent I talked to seemed to be unaware of any other technical issues that could cause this.
Edit: I was just about to hit submit on this post, when I happened to refresh my account manager page on RW/Dish to double-check information. My phone line now reports no data usage for this service period. I really should have taken screenshots.