What's Your Least Favorite State?

Saw this elsewhere on the Internet and posting it here just for fun and, perhaps, to spark some conversation:

I’ve lived in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and currently reside in Florida.

Massachusetts disliking New York (though it’s largely about sports rivalries between teams located in NYC and Boston) and the rest of New England claiming to dislike Massachusetts (because Massachusetts is the largest New England state in terms of population and has an outsize impact on the economy and culture of New England) is reasonably accurate.

I find it amusing that even Florida dislikes Florida. :grin:

I don’t think this is accurate. Illinoisans seem to have a general hatred of Illinois and envy all the surrounding states (with the exception of Kentucky). I’ve never understood this, myself. My least favorite state is Colorado, but only because I’ve spent so much time in Denver. The rest of Colorado is probably fine, but Denver has ruined it for me.

Hooray! No one hates NC! I feel so loved!

I’m not seeing the state that has the light pink (“doesn’t hate anyone”) lines. (I thought it was NC, but, no, apparently someone here hates SC, which is just petty.)

I wonder how much this map would change after a big sports upset.

@cbwahlstrom what on earth is to hate about Denver? My daughter is in Boulder and I was under the impression that all of Colorado was basically heaven on earth.

The whole thing reminds me of one of my favorite “oldies.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCTdfo6T-u8

@southpaw, I lived most of my life in Denver. It was great in our early times - my commute to Golden took 17 minutes. When we left in 2014, the same drive took 50 minutes gripping the steering wheel the whole way. When I went to visit my brother a couple of years ago, the city has become crowded and noisy with blocked roads all day every day.

That said, we now live in New Mexico; it’s quiet, calm, and a great place to retire. However I must agree with the graphic, Texas is way too close to New Mexico.

@southpaw said:
I’m not seeing the state that has the light pink (“doesn’t hate anyone”) lines. (I thought it was NC, but, no, apparently someone here hates SC, which is just petty.)

I believe it’s Hawaii.

@southpaw said:
I wonder how much this map would change after a big sports upset.

I think the source of the supposed antipathy among some states is sports rivalry. Massachusetts doesn’t really hate New York as a state. It’s more fans of Boston sports teams “hate” NYC sports teams. In fact, the sports rivalry doesn’t truly extend to all NYC sports teams. The Boston Bruins arch rival is Les Habitants (more formally known as the Montreal Canadiens) rather than the New York Rangers or New York Islanders.

Likewise, I presume the mutual dislike between Michigan and Ohio is about the college athletics rivalry between the University of Michigan and the Ohio State University.

@southpaw said:
The whole thing reminds me of one of my favorite “oldies.”

The Kingston Trio! One of my father’s favorite songs was the Boston themed M.T.A. (Metropolitan Transit Authority) today known as the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) or among the locals as the “T”:

The MBTA’s fare card is called the CharlieCard (named for the song’s protagonist).

Yep. That’s another one of my favorites. I even own a Charlie Card! Charlie’s wife is my personal hero. :wink:

Hi @Totoro,

my commute to Golden took 17 minutes. When we left in 2014, the same drive took 50 minutes gripping the steering wheel the whole way.

Okay, I can understand that. Traffic here in the Raleigh area has become pretty similar, which is why I’m a huge fan of working remotely! In the last six months, every time I venture more than 10 minutes from my home, I see a wreck. (I don’t mean I see it happen, thank goodness.) It starts to make me wonder if I’m the cause…

Born and raised in Toledo (Ohio), then living and raising a family in the Detroit (Michigan) area for forty years, then moving back to Toledo after retirement I feel especially qualified to expound on Michigan vs. Ohio feelings.

Toledo is in a strange place for this and always has been. A short hop to Ann Arbor and University of Michigan was and is a pleasure, many Toledo folks opting to attend U of M, even with out-of-state tuition. But approximately equal numbers in the area root for Ohio State, even though much farther away, and not so fun to visit as Ann Arbor - seemingly because it is in Ohio (and because OSU has a cool marching band for halftimes).

Yes, animosity between Ohio and Michigan is all about OSU vs. U of M sports. Ohioans have always enjoyed the Winter Water Wonderland of Michigan, the Great Lakes State. The bulk of Ohio is jealous of Michigan topography and natural features, escaping the plains to vacation. Any “hatred” is limited to college sports conflicts.

Perhaps some corner of somewhere in Michigan dislikes Nebraska - but in forty years I never heard mention. In the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan there is some natural tension with, but also allegiance to, Wisconsin (which should by rights include the U.P.).

Thanks for both the Kingston Trio clips! And @southpaw - you cannot be old enough to directly remember that song and era! But thanks for the recollection.

@Clint,

And @southpaw - you cannot be old enough to directly remember that song and era! But thanks for the recollection.

:laughing: As a child I assumed ownership of my mother’s Kingston Trio album and nearly wore it out on my stereo. I did get to see the Kingston Trio in concert in the late 1980’s, with original member Bob Shane.

I’ve only lived in ND, MN, NC,SC,MS,NM, and WA. There were aspects to like about all of them. Of the states I frequented, NJ was the least desirable and LA was the most fun, probably because of the French Quarter and a certain Cajun sweetie. Nothing I’ve experienced in the US was as breathtaking as summertime in Northern Italy, Southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The Alps, Lago De Garda, … I could go on and on about that part of our planet.

As a New Yorker (upstate), I don’t think New Jersey gets anywhere near enough love. My musical contribution, the Garden State Stomp by Dave Van Ronk (at about the 4-minute mark):
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qzWl0lCZX74

@BillG said:
Of the states I frequented, NJ was the least desirable

What part of NJ did you see? The northern part of the NJ Turnpike with the refineries and chemical plants?!?
The northeast part of NJ is very densely populated, plus traffic passing through, so it’s hard to appreciate it.
But there are some really beautiful parts of NJ, the Garden State (tomatoes! peaches!)

NJ is the most densely populated state – 1263 people per sq. mile (most of them in North Jersey). If NJ were so bad, then why do so many people live there?
Sure, we have the mob, but we also have Bruce Springstein, Bon Jovi, Jonas Brothers, Fountains of Wayne, and more… Famous People From New Jersey & Celebs Born In New Jersey.
The Hamilton-Burr duel was in Weehawkin.
We have full-serve gas stations.

The toll bridges into NJ are free coming in…you have to pay the toll on the way out!!!

dbrew826 Appreciate your sentiments! Another Jersey song: https://youtu.be/Uh-iVlio8dQ

As NJ goes, back in the early 1970s I’d fly into Newark, rent a car, and drive to the Bell Labs complex in Holmdel. The Bell Labs complex (aka Ma Bell’s hanging gardens) was a wonderful place but getting in and out of Newark was a nightmare.

Bill G – Holmdel is thinking of redeveloping the Bell Labs location — where the Horn Antenna is located (comsic microwave background discovered there - important for Big Bang Theory). Such an important location – will become houses? a strip mall? https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/save-big-bang-antenna/

And the roads to/from Newark Airport have increased/improved a lot since the 1970s!

That was a fabulous place. Their telephone system consisted of every phone switch bell had ever made, from the manually plugged switches to the latest at that time and all of these switches worked in perfect harmony. My work there was with TAT5 (Transatlantic Telephone cable #5 from Rhode Island to Spain) and an add-on called TASI-B that increased the capacity by taking channels away from people who were listening and giving them to people who were talking. I know, it sounds impossible but in those days everything Bell Labs did had been impossible. :slight_smile: Shame on IBM for breaking up the Bell system.

For me it’s Ohio. Not because of sports rivalries. I live in the Detroit area. To travel by car to many places requires spending MANY hours in Ohio. For most road trips I put the most distance through Ohio.

Coming up soon I’ll be going to the Charleston, SC area. That trip will involve FOUR HOURS of driving through Ohio.

Also, I can tell you that the original image isn’t correct. The least favorite state of Michigan is not Nebraska, it’s Ohio. That is mainly due to college sports rivalries.

Scottathew – I’m planning a “vacation” to Ohio in April 2024. I chose it because it’s in the path of totality of a solar eclipse, and I’ve never been to Ohio! So I’ll make a little vacation of it — probably Cleveland area. I’ll see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and the house where “A Christmas Story” was filmed. There are probably other things to do/see, too!!

My family did a vacation last year to Hocking Hills in Ohio. We rented a cabin and it was a fantastic vacation.