Would you buy a car without an AM radio?

Ford is dropping AM radio from the 2024 Mustang. While I primarily listen to SiriusXM in the car, I do find myself tuning into a ballgame quite frequently on AM stations. What are your thoughts on this? At one time I thought HD radio would be the savior of broadcast radio, but that platform seems to have landed with a thud and evaporated.

2024 Ford Mustang Will Also Ditch AM Radio https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/2024-ford-mustang-will-also-ditch-am-radio/

My thoughts are one’s opinion on this will tend to be generational. That said, news and sports radio is still prevalent on AM radio in many markets.

Yes. Yes, I would buy a car without an AM radio. Just not a Ford.

I’m probably not anyone’s target demographic for this question, because I’d be just as happy to buy a car without an FM radio and without satellite radio. Just give me a Bluetooth connection to the audio system, please and thank you.

I’d also be perfectly happy to rent a hotel room without a TV. Gotta have WiFi, though.

Do you think if this catches on, your sports franchise will find other ways to get their games on the air? Our local college games are on FM stations.

@southpaw said:
Yes. Yes, I would buy a car without an AM radio. Just not a Ford.

A person after my own heart. I’m old fashioned and have my trusty Garmin GPS that talks to me quite often. Re-calculating…re-calculating…ops just missed another turn…Ha…Ha So no need for any type of radio in my car!

Do you think if this catches on, your sports franchise will find other ways to get their games on the air?

Nah… It’s Major League Baseball. They will just point you to their subscription streaming app. I’m equidistant (170 miles) from three major league teams, but only one has a local radio affiliate (and I don’t really care about that team). AM is great for picking up those distant broadcasts. With the way local radio is dying, I don’t see much further expansion of local affiliates in the future. I have fond memories of hanging out in the car (sometimes a Ford Mustang with, ironically, an AM only radio) with my dad listening to the games on the radio while mom did the grocery shopping.

In the Boston radio market, news and sports talk long dominated the AM dial. Local broadcast of professional sports was predominantly AM as well. The Patriots were the first professional sports team to move to FM. 10 years or so ago now, an upstart FM sports talk station took on the then dominant AM sports talk station. That upstart also had the advantage of holding the broadcast rights to the Celtics and Bruins. The upstart didn’t stay an upstart for long. The once dominant AM sports talk station (who also held the broadcast rights to the Red Sox reacted by moving its programming to a sister FM station. So, in Boston, sports is now an FM thing.

The dominant, by far, new radio station in Boston remains on the AM dial.

No doubt; it’s bias on my part but I never warmed up to radio in South Florida. When out and about I mostly stream from my phone. Like Boston, however, the dominant new radio source in South Florida is AM radio.

Bottom line, I could get by without AM radio in a car because, generally, I rely on news radio only for storm coverage and am, hopefully, not out and about during that. Still, I would prefer to have both FM and AM radio in my car.

How will we get our highway traffic advisories on 1610? :smiley: :smiley:

I listen to FM radio in my car and would be bummed if I couldn’t get it. I don’t generally listen to AM, but would feel annoyed (and strangely vulnerable?) if AM were suddenly unavailable.

AM or FM radio is not a requirement for a car purchase for me. I never listen to radio. I either listen to podcasts or a music streaming service.

AM is not a requirement for me but FM is because I’m addicted to Minnesota Public Radio and National Public Radio. I could stream them but FM radio is easier.

Personally I would not miss not having the AM band but I would miss the removal of FM. I regularly listen to WUNC the state’s public radio station system while driving. I also listen to a couple of the local universities stations that play jazz and ethnic music.

Years ago, traveling in some remote areas, AM was the only signal I could get in my car! (But I had a cassette player!). Can you get enough signal for streaming in remote areas?

Can you get enough signal for streaming in remote areas?

With my Republic Wireless service I can’t get enough bandwidth to stream in well populated areas during normal business hours.

I live in a rural area. There is not enough bandwidth to stream consistently. I download content over WiFi and then playback from my phone when I’m out and about.

Not if this legislation passes: US lawmakers strike back at automakers eliminating AM Radio.

Instead of requiring automakers to include old, analog AM radio, they should pass legislation aimed at requiring all radios to pickup digital HD radio.

Signal propagation isn’t great on HD radio, but I’m sure the iBiquity Digital Corporation would be very happy with legislation requiring use of their proprietary technology.

As it happens, my 2018 Mazda 3 has FM, HD, and Sirius. My first car without AM, actually, and only second car I’ve owned with automatic windows. :#
I subscribe to the discounted, very basic Sirius but could easily live without it. I do enjoy a handful of channels, including the Jazz and MLB channels, but not interested enough to pay to have all the team channels. Podcasts and NPR stations otherwise.

Anyone else remember the AM radio show Coast to Coast? Classic. :wink:

Coast to Coast AM is still going. Too out there for me, but my wife used to listen. https://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Chicago’s AM Radio Industry May Have Trouble Reaching Drivers:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2023/6/5/23750177/chicago-am-radio-electric-vehicles-buzzkill