Is Republic Wireless Shutting Down?

Good Morning @rosedoodle,

@rosedoodle said:
Well no one here would be surprised.

No; I don’t think anyone would, however, there is not as of yet sufficient information to conclude if or when DISH might shut down the RW brand.

@rosedoodle said:
I’ve assumed since they took over that that was the goal, eventually.

I genuinely believe DISH’s original goal was to grow the RW brand. One doesn’t bring in a management team and otherwise make the investments made if the intent all along was to shut the brand down. The original strategy was, however, deeply flawed.

@rosedoodle said:
Then they axed the community forums.

Those of us who were Community Ambassadors or Expert Customers were told the timing of Community’s demise was yet another glitch.

@rosedoodle said:
Also, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a new phone and noticed they’ve almost sold out of all of theirs.

Yeah, and I’m not confident there will be any restock.

@rosedoodle said:
Been trying to see what people here and elsewhere like for no-contract cell service.

In terms of phone, phone service or both?

If asking about unlocked phones; did you have a particular brand in mind? Do you want to stick with Android? Or, would you consider iPhone?

If asking about alternate phone service, fellow members of this Community have reviewed some in our Reviews category. Additionally, I’m beta testing MobileX. If in the market for “unlimited”, Visible is offering an attractive price for new customers bringing their own phone. Visible’s reputation for support, however, isn’t great. Though we don’t yet have a review for them, US Mobile is worth considering. Folks whose judgement I trust are happy with US Mobile.

When considering alternate providers, one wants to determine some things:

• Does the cellular partner’s network (AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon) offer quality coverage where one needs it?
  • Is the phone one wishes to use or is considering acquiring compatible with the cellular partner’s network?
  • If strong customer support is important, in addition to the experiences of one’s fellow member’s here, one might want to look at a provider’(s) reviews on Trustpilot.

Finally, I’ll just say this. If RW by DISH service is working well for you, I don’t think there’s a need to do anything just yet.

Should the day come DISH decides to shut down the RW brand, I expect they would extend an offer to migrate to one or more of their surviving brands. Of course, this presumes any potential future shutdown is orderly and orderly does seem to be a challenge for DISH. Such an offer would need to account for the promises (particularly discounts previously extended) made to members.

When DISH acquired the RW brand, it acquired the brand’s commitments. If DISH fails to keep those commitments, I do not see myself remaining a customer of any DISH owned brand. In addition to RW, Boost Infinite, Boost Mobile, Gen Mobile and Ting Mobile are all DISH owned brands.