Roaming in Canada with North American Connect

As of July of last year my RW/BI line went inert when I crossed the border. I will be visiting Canada again at the end of next month. I will find out if it works then.

Just to be safe, I will spend the €4 ($4.27 at todays’ exchange rate) on a 7-day 1GB North American data eSIM profile from Manet Travel. This is €1 less than last year. The people I most want to hear from have access to some of the same chat/VoIP apps and the data will suffice when I am off WiFi on my Mint line. The cost of the Manet North American and Canada plans is identical at the 7-day 1GB point. Going the NA route lets me start with the profile in the US and then run tests on the BI line after I reach my destination without having to worry about stopping to change phone settings. If BI is still broken, I just switch back to the eSIM for the rest of the trip.

Last year Manet Travel charged the same for NA and Canada across the board. This year the Canada plans are cheaper than the NA plans above the 7-day 1GB point.

if @psteckler has an eSIM capable phone, a Canadian/North American eSIM might be a good idea.

If the phone is not eSIM capable and they travel a lot, then Using an eSIM profile on your non-eSIM phone might be helpful. Just be sure to check the directions on compatibility issues.

As an aside note: A data connection and Waze navigation can be a very good thing. The 401 expressway in Ontario is notorious for traffic jams and construction. Waze easily saved me an hour or more each way on my last trip by routing me around jams.