"Apple Intelligence" Among Other Things Announced at WWDC

At its Worldwide Developer’s Conference (WWDC), Apple made major announcements including “Apple Intelligence”, its take on AI.

My aging iPhone (I’m considering upgrade options) will run the forthcoming iOS 18 but is too old for Apple Intelligence. I’m uncertain if that’s a good or bad thing. :smile:

iOS 18 also brings RCS support, which, hopefully, improves the cross platform text messaging experience. When the iOS public beta is available (later this month), I’ll grab it.

For those who may be interested, the linked news source operates its own community forums. Like our community, they are powered by Discourse.

1 Like

As I figured my ver 12 iPhone would probably be my last update, the Apple Intelligance just might change my mind :grin: … here are the minimum devices required (per Toms Guide & others)

Hey @jben,

Those are indeed the minimum device requirements for Apple Intelligence. But; the latest versions of macOS, iOS and iPad OS will themselves run on much older hardware albeit sans Apple Intelligence.

1 Like

In the top post, I cited TidBITs as the news source. TidBITS started as a Macintosh email newsletter as far back as the 1990s. The publisher of TidBITS also wrote the book that first got my Mac and me on the Internet back in the day (long before Apple became what it is today thanks to iPhone):

9781568300641-us

I’m still trying to figure out if AI is going to become the next “3D TV”.

My workplace rolled out an AI initiative with CoPilot, and we’ve found it to be generally accurate, but not 100%. “Generally accurate” isn’t accurate enough.

Also, having AI write an email for you is more of a party trick.

Thus far the biggest win has been having AI create a PowerPoint presentation or assist with creating one.

1 Like

I think AI has a useful future (more so than 3D TV). I’m far from convinced it will be life changing in the ways tech bros. such as Sam Altman, Satya Nadella and Sundar Pichai would like us to believe.

:mm_hmm2: