Favorite features in a smart security camera

I’m starting to consider buying an outdoor camera or two for increased security around my home. What would you consider to be must-have features, and which camera do you think best hits the mark for overall value?

Things I found necessary when trying to monitor a house we were having renovated (during Covid)

1. The ability to crop the vision field and cut out things like passing cars
  2. The ability to save to memory (vs paying for cloud storage)
  3. POE (Power over Ethernet) to allow placing where AC power is not avail
  4. Found this link that provides a lot of background info that may/may not be known.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/home-garden/home-security-cameras/buying-guide/
1 Like

The POE requirement can be mitigated with $11 adapters like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=poe+adapter+pi&crid=DLWJJZ74A2SQ&sprefix=poe+adapter+pi%2Caps%2C115&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
They seem to work with the Wyze cameras.
You just need a POE switch to inject power (about $50 for 5 port gigabit ones).
I don’t know of many cameras that will run just off solar power though (year round) without putting a beefy battery at each location. Wyze has newer outdoor cameras now with replaceable battery packs, and offer trickle charge solar chargers. I am NOT endorsing Wyze devices, I am just telling what is available from Wyze. They do offer a yearly $99 service for up to 99 cameras cloud storage (14 days and it rolls off).

I wouldn’t mind having a few extra camera’s to add to Google Home/Nest. I don’t think I want anything but fully compatible Nest cameras. Right now they’re simply too expensive. I can wait.

Can you explain what this means to you? I’m asking because I’ve noticed the current line of Google Nest Cams are no longer compatible with the Nest app.

What do you deem to be a reasonable price?

I haven’t kept up with it too much, but there was a 9to5 Google article with listed compatibility. At the time it looked like nest and Arlo cams were compatible with real time streaming in the app. I want things like zones and people/package detect.

<$100 for an outdoor wired cam. I don’t really need much. One more cam for the driveway and one for the back door would be nice. It’s not that big a deal though. I live in an urban environment where we get people checking car doors to steal things that aren’t locked up. I’ve only had this happen once to me in the 20 years I’ve lived here. Most of the time the cameras are a source of amusement. I can’t believe how many trailers seem to fall off hitches in front of my house.

Southpaw:
It is amazing watching traffic from midnight to 5 a.m. on security cameras! You will be shocked once you get some cameras installed and start perusing the video footage.
Also, deer love to eat on our rose bushes.

1 Like