Looks like I will be leaving Spectrum

Spectrum Mobile is definitely not ready for prime time. The original port took a week to get through to my old provider because Spectrum’s process was screwed up on retrying after an error. The latest is I am getting bombarded with spam robocalls and Spectrum has no ability or option to filter known spammers. Ooma used Nomorobo so I typically received no more than a couple of robo calls a week. It went up slightly to about one a day when I moved to Spectrum bu the past couple of weeks it has shot up to 10+ a day. When I contacted Spectrum the response was I could add the numbers to my block list. I explained that will never work as the spammers spoof different numbers on every call. So I am back to looking for a new provider for my “Home” phone.

I use a flip phone for my home phone since it is mainly there for legacy use and backup to our RW phones. Based on the various posts by @rolandh I am looking at Mobi and Mobile X. I am wondering how spam filtering is for these two or if there are any others. If push comes to shove I will buy a new phone but really don’t need anything smart for my current use.

I have mixed feelings about Spectrum. They don’t tack on any taxes or fees to my internet service that I have had with them for more than a few years. On the other hand, they have their everyday prices so hidden that I would not know what their regular fees are after the 12-month promotion ends for their other services. I am tempted to call them and ask where their “rate card” is located on the website.

I have Ooma for my home phone, and I love the setting that has only numbers in my contact list ring my phone. I only get occasional voice mails on that number. However, for my $10 Ooma phone service, I am paying almost $8 in taxes and fees. I was also thinking about moving my “home” number to MobileX, but I did not see anything on their site about filtering calls. I probably won’t switch because the peace and quiet is worth $18/month to me.

@old_engineer said:
Based on the various posts by @rolandh I am looking at Mobi and Mobile X. I am wondering how spam filtering is for these two or if there are any others. If push comes to shove I will buy a new phone but really don’t need anything smart for my current use.

Currently, neither Mobi or MobileX offer end user configurable spam filtering. You get whatever the upstream carrier partner (Verizon) provides on the network.

Mobi’s forthcoming T-Mobile network service, in theory, would be able to offer spam filtering not dependent on the upstream carrier partner. TrueCaller is available as a “network app” on Working Group 2’s platform. Working Group 2 is the provider of Mobi’s new core. Mobi would have access to network apps on Working Group 2’s platform and would also have the option of adding custom services unique to Mobi service. The possibilities are interesting but Mobi’s not there yet.

The above said, I do not get many spam calls on either my Mobi or MobileX numbers.

@a_j said:
I have mixed feelings about Spectrum. They don’t tack on any taxes or fees to my internet service that I have had with them for more than a few years. On the other hand, they have their everyday prices so hidden that I would not know what their regular fees are after the 12-month promotion ends for their other services. I am tempted to call them and ask where their “rate card” is located on the website.

I have Ooma for my home phone, and I love the setting that has only numbers in my contact list ring my phone. I only get occasional voice mails on that number. However, for my $10 Ooma phone service, I am paying almost $8 in taxes and fees. I was also thinking about moving my “home” number to MobileX, but I did not see anything on their site about filtering calls. I probably won’t switch because the peace and quiet is worth $18/month to me.

I was grandfathered on their original premium plan so other than the annual fee I only paid taxes each month. That turned out to be about $15/mo taxes included. The driving factor for dropping Ooma was my box was starting to die. After 15+ years of use it would need resetting a couple of times per week in order for inbound calls to work. Since I had to buy a new box switching I figured it might be time to replace it with a cheap cell plan and phone.

@rolandh said:

@old_engineer said:
Based on the various posts by @rolandh I am looking at Mobi and Mobile X. I am wondering how spam filtering is for these two or if there are any others. If push comes to shove I will buy a new phone but really don’t need anything smart for my current use.

Currently, neither Mobi or MobileX offer end user configurable spam filtering. You get whatever the upstream carrier partner (Verizon) provides on the network.

Mobi’s forthcoming T-Mobile network service, in theory, would be able to offer spam filtering not dependent on the upstream carrier partner. TrueCaller is available as a “network app” on Working Group 2’s platform. Working Group 2 is the provider of Mobi’s new core. Mobi would have access to network apps on Working Group 2’s platform and would also have the option of adding custom services unique to Mobi service. The possibilities are interesting but Mobi’s not there yet.

The above said, I do not get many spam calls on either my Mobi or MobileX numbers.

Thanks for the response. I did manage to talk to Mobi and they did say they do not have any type of filtering support but they are still building up and might offer something in the future.

I used to have a similar issue though not to this degree when I was on the RW 1.0 $10/mo plan. I found the phone based apps as little more than a band-aid that was still inconvenient to use and barely a step above manual call block lists. They also don’t work for folks who need nothing more than a simple flip phone for call and text. I suspect the spam calls had to do with the underlying VoIP number as when I went to 5.0 with the same cell number my spam calls have gone to none. My wife’s new line has also not had any spam calls since the switch to 5.0.