Missing 5G on Samsung A32

Here’s a question for other RW by Dish users with a Samsung A32 5G purchased from Dish. Pretty sure we are in an area with 5G coverage at our house. All most positive we have used 5G here, but memory isn’t what it used to be :wink:

We recently got the Android 13 update and now it looks like we only have LTE connectivity. Has anyone else lost 5G capability after the Android 13 update?

Am scratching my head because at around the same time we did the update there was a crew out in the area and they might have been working on the 5G network. Have not gone anywhere else to see if we can find 5G service. Could be a coincidence?

Checked settings and under Connections, Mobile networks there are settings for Allow 2G service, Access Point names (that all seem normal) and Network operators that states Republic.

Any help with some comparison settings or other suggestions will be appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m downloading 13 on Mr. Southpaw’s phone as I type… but I won’t be able to check until tomorrow, since we don’t have great coverage at the house.
Have you updated all apps since updating the OS?

Have updated all the apps I can find. Do not have a Samsung account but often see updates on apps we use. This happened on both phones. Verified that we are in a good 5G coverage area at the house. Though there were more options under the Mobile networks settings on 12. Have read on a few other newsgroups that other models had a 5G issue after the 13 update. At least LTE is still working :slight_smile:

Thanks for testing!

Actually, I turned off WiFi right after downloading the update, but before installing it, and this phone was getting 5G here at the house. So just as soon as this installation completes, I’ll have an answer for you. Hum the Jeopardy theme a few times…

It took a while on both of our phones. We are normally on WiFi at the house and just left the phone settings the same during the update. Now I’ve got Jeopardy theme on my mind :*

I did the Android 13 update, turned off WiFi, and only LTE was available.
A Feb 1 patch was available. Still no 5G with that installed.

I don’t think this is something you’ll be able to fix with a settings change. I would expect it to require another update.

(Signing off for the night.)

We did the same steps including installing the Feb security update. At least LTE is working. Did a little Googling and other Samsung models have had 5G issues too. General consensus seems to be wait for an update. Hopefully a patch will come out soon. Thanks!

I’m, apparently, still seeing 5G on my Android 13 updated Galaxy A32 5G. You might try the following:

1. Presuming you’re using Samsung’s bundled Phone app, install Phone by Google
  2. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (the code doesn’t work using Samsung’s Phone app but will work using Phone by Google)
  3. From the Testing page, tap Phone information
  4. Scroll until you see Set Preferred Network Type
  5. What is the default (mine is NR/LTE/WCDMA)

NR/LTE/WCDMA is 5G, 4G LTE and 3G GSM respectively. Don’t let the WCDMA fool you it’s not the same as plain CDMA. WCDMA is another way of saying UTMS or 3G GSM.

Also at Settings → About phone → Software information → Service provider software version; what do you see? I see:

Hi @rolandh - Our software information matches your screen capture exactly. Thanks for posting that.

Will try and get the time today to load Google phone and check other phone information with the 4636 code. Assume you cannot change the Set Preferred Network Type with the Google phone test. Basically just a way to see the settings.

@FreddyP said:
Our software information matches your screen capture exactly.

That’s DISH specific firmware and carrier unlocking a phone doesn’t, in and of itself, remove carrier specific firmware. That’s the difference between carrier unlocked and factory unlocked. It’s not something necessarily to be concerned about (more a curiosity if 5G’s disappearance on your phone is somehow related to the DISH specific firmware). As 5G seems to remain present on my A32 5G, I don’t think it’s firmware related.

To that end, I’m curious as to whether Mr. Southpaw’s A32 5G was originally locked to DISH/RW or is the factory unlocked variant?

@FreddyP said:
Are you able to change the Set Preferred Network Type with the Google phone test?

Yes, there will be a drop-down menu. Testing with my A32 5G suggests changes made do not survive a restart of the phone. When I force my phone to NR (5G) only, I lose network connectivity. But; with the default NR/LTE/WCDMA or NR/LTE settings, I still see the 5G indicator on my phone and have network connectivity. Indoor 5G coverage isn’t great at home for me, so the A32 5G cycles back and forth between indicating 5G and LTE.

Another thought is AT&T has been known to display fake 5G a/k/a 5Ge on phones connected to its network. 5Ge is fake 5G dreamed up by AT&T’s marketing department but is actually enhanced 4G. If you were previously seeing 5Ge and now see LTE or LTE+, it’s probably just Samsung making the indicator accurately reflect what is really 4G coverage.

I don’t worry too much about whether I have 5G vs. 4G coverage. Most 5G coverage on AT&T is still 5G NSA (non-standalone) as opposed to 5G SA (standalone). The speed differential between 5G NSA and 4G LTE is minimal and, in my opinion, not worth being concerned about. 5G continues to be overhyped. Even the industry is beginning to figure that out: How 5G disappointed ‘pretty much everybody’.

@rolandh said:

I don’t worry too much about whether I have 5G vs. 4G coverage. Most 5G coverage on AT&T is still 5G NSA (non-standalone) as opposed to 5G SA (standalone). The speed differential between 5G NSA and 4G LTE is minimal and, in my opinion, not worth being concerned about.

We feel the same way about 4G vs 5G coverage but just hate to lose a capability we had. And, as always, it’s fun to try and find out what’s going on :wink:

Another thought is AT&T has been known to display fake 5G a/k/a 5Ge on phones connected to its network. 5Ge is fake 5G dreamed up by AT&T’s marketing department but is actually enhanced 4G. If you were previously seeing 5Ge and now see LTE or LTE+, it’s probably just Samsung making the indicator accurately reflect what is really 4G coverage.

This is my top theory, but I couldn’t get my thoughts in order to try to explain it last night.

This happened to a friend of mine who is with Boost and has an A32 5G. She took it to the Boost store and the guy there said ‘this is happening to everyone’ before fiddling with the phone for about a minute and handing it back to her with 5G service. Sorry, neither she nor I know what he did.

Good news! Both of our A32 5G phones got the update to Version A326USQU9DWD9 - Security patch level: March 1, 2023 yesterday and we have 5G again. System shows Android version 13 with One UI version 5.1. Whatever was in the update fixed the 5G issue for us.