Review: Sifely X Smart Lock

We got our first smart lock for the kitchen/garage door a few months ago and I am loving it!

A little history: Just a few years ago I finally traded in the mom-van for something new. We’re one of those drive-it-until-the-wheels-fall-off families, which means when you do get something new, BOY, it’s really new. Cars have changed a ton in the last decade or so.

What does that have to do with a smart lock at the entrance of our home? Well, one of the new-to-me features of my new car was keyless entry; I can walk out of the house, unlock the car, start the car, drive away, return, turn off the car, lock the car and never touch a key.

I have been getting more and more used to the idea of not needing keys, and less and less happy with having to find my key to get back into my house! In fact, after a couple of years with the new car, it had become common that I would come home, get out of the car, walk into the garage and find myself a bit mystified that the kitchen door didn’t simply recognize my presence and unlock, like my car does!

The Sifely X Smart lock offers multiple ways to unlock the door.

• Fingerprint recognition
  • PIN entry
  • RFC Physical Key Fob
  • E-Key
  • Physical key
  • Google Assistant (as well as Alexa and iOS) (Gateway required)
  • App control to unlock and lock.

The options are a bit overkill for my use, but I can see them being useful for someone like my Aunt who travels a lot and has adult daughters, neighbors, dog-sitters, housekeeper, and other assorted trusted people coming and going in her home! PINs, Fingerprints, and E-Keys are revokable from the app, so you aren’t giving anyone permanant passage into your home!

I did not install it myself, however it passed our household ease-of-installation test, which is to say Mr. Southpaw did not injure himself nor utter profanity while installing it.

I’m considering having a trusted friend do some dog-sitting in the not-too-distant future, and it’ll be nice to be able to assign her a PIN rather than having to entrust her with a key. (The last person who spent time staying with us never gave back the key :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.)

We’ve had the lock in use for two-and-a-half months and have had no problems with it so far. Now I’m looking at the other doors and wondering if I want to go keyless with them, as well. :thinking:

Edited to add:

I guess my only disappointment has been that if you want to use it with Google Assistant, the assistant asks for your PIN each time. I haven’t been able to find a way around that, which means that I can’t program it to automatically unlock the door when I come home. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Then he didn’t do it right.

1 Like