Router Upgrade to ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

We have been running our home network on an ASUS RT-AC68U router since 2017. The router was getting long in the tooth and we started to see some impacts in daily use so we decided it was time to upgrade. Found a fair price on an ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8 2PK).

Even though our home is only 2100 sq ft, we decided to go with a mesh network because of the layout and several dead spots. The ASUS router app made setup of the ZenWiFi (XT-8) a delight. We had the system up and running in a basic configuration in less than 10 minutes after turning them on. Also like the fact that we can admin the system using a laptop and the web GUI. The web GUI provides the ability to control several items in the setup with great precision. As an example, we use SAMBA and a USB drive attached to the router as a mini-NAS. This makes backup and file sharing simple using our Windows laptops. We also run a media server so we can stream items locally using our ROKU device.

The upgrade to an AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 system with dedicated back haul made a huge difference in our download speeds. We were lucky to get an average 250Mbps d/l speed before the upgrade. Now we’re getting a consistent 510Mbps (with a few tests around 535 Mbps) which isn’t bad since the ISP service is for 500Mbps.

Zero dead spots anywhere on our property now. Before the upgrade our coverage on the patio was spotty at best on either 2.4 or 5GHz. Rock solid now! Using the same SID and password for the new router simplified the transition of all the Alexa devices (43 total). All were back online within 5 minutes of switch over.

Recommend that those running older routers without the newer protocols consider an upgrade. You might see similar benefits too!

TL;DR - easy upgrade with great results. YMMV

4 Likes

When I switched from satellite TV to streaming back in 2020, I forgot how ancient my router was. I was using a D-Link DIR-601, with one antenna. That was definitely not going to cut it. So I got an ASUS Dual Band AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 router . Did not need a mesh system for my ranch house. I have it right in the middle of the house. It works great. It looks nice too, black with gold accents. I called customer service for a technical question, and the agent answered my question right away. Very impressed with ASUS.

2 Likes

Asus routers are feature packed and have a good user interface.

My RT-AX68U was actually struck by lightning ground surge a month ago and I thought I would have to replace it since it killed the WAN port but it actually had a feature to swap one of the LAN ports to be used as a backup WAN port so I didn’t have to replace it.

3 Likes

For those fans of ASUS, who aren’t ready to spend the big bucks, but would like to expand their existing ASUS home, check out this. AiMesh whole home mesh wifi system | ASUS.
@BillG previously used this and provided a positive review, but it was lost with the rest of the original Republic Wireless Forum.
Great way to extend life/use of what you have!

Hi Ben!

I just moved from my lake home to a much smaller townhouse in Moorhead MN and that led to the disassembly and reassembly of my ASUS RT-AC68U-based mesh network. It is working great with two routers thanks largely to the simple setup procedure ASUS publishes. I have two of that model available in case anyone wants to make me an offer.

Bill

1 Like

The use of a mesh network with 2 or more end points allows the use of lower power in the TH/Condo environment … most of us are used to running full power due to distance between neighbors.
Take care,
Ben

Excellent point, Ben. I hadn’t thought about that.

I’m an old Tool Time Fan . . .More Power, more power :upside_down_face:

But @jBen makes a good point!

Full power with well placed extenders to blanket the largest area possible. I like that I can get WiFi in my deer stand at the back of my property. Then again some of my neighbors can pick it up too. Too much you think? :grinning:

You would have to know what your signal strength is at your surrounding neighbors, what channel you and they might be using, and how your router selects ‘best’ channel.
Some Apps that can help are listed at WiFi Router Tweaks

That last sentence was tongue in cheek.

I understand, but I was trying to put enough info that it might be a help to others as well :smile: