Using the Discourse platform on your Android phone is incredibly easy, thanks to Chrome’s PWA feature. It will allow you to manage notifications and interact with our Community, add a shortcut to your home screen, and works even better than the Discourse app.
To set up the RWusers PWA:
Open Chrome on your Android phone and navigate to forums.rwusers.com
Tap the three-dot menu icon
Tap install app.
And confirm by tapping Install
Now you’ll find a new app in your App Drawer called “Real World”. Long press on the icon and tap Site Settings to configure notifications, and you’ll never miss another exciting post!
Apple doesn’t do much to promote PWAs (progressive web apps) but they work on iPhone as well.
- Open Safari
- Navigate to forums.rwusers.com
- Tap the share icon (the square with the arrow pointing up)
- Scroll to then tap Add to Home Screen
- As with Android, the default name is Real World but on iOS it’s editable
- Tap Add
- You’ll see a new app icon
Until recently, PWAs on iOS lacked notifications but Apple finally got around to fixing that with iOS 16.4:
- Launch your new app
- Log in
- At the top of the screen you’ll be asked if you want live notifications?
- Tap Enable Notifications
- Tap Allow
As an aside, for those with iPads, the above works for them as well.