🐦 What's in YOUR backyard? Let technology show you!

Here’s my latest favorite use of technology these days. Install the Merlin app from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, go out in your backyard, and let the app take a listen… You’ll soon find out what birds are all around you, and you may find some surprises.

Spring migration is in full swing. Give it a try and show us what’s in your backyard!

5 Likes

Will the app identify what kind of lawn tractor my neighbor is using? That’s all I can hear right now… .

(Thanks for the suggestion – I will be installing it on my phone. We usually have a lot of noisy birds at our feeders).

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a wonderfful app. In St. Petersburg, FL this week, my suppers have been accompanied by the Northern Mockingbird (very proliflic here), Blue Jay (quite a repertoire!), Eastern Swallow, Tufted Titmouse, and Grackle.

Cornell Ornithology is great – they have a You Tube channel too. It’s always playing at a Wild Birds Unlimited store near me.

Also – iNaturalist is a great app – plants, insects, etc.
A Community for Naturalists · iNaturalist

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!!

1 Like

I installed it on my phone a couple of weeks ago as well and love it, too! We have a lot of chirpy birds here and, although I still don’t know what they’re yelling at me, at least I know now WHO is doing the yelling. :grin:

Recent walk around the neighborhood identified: House Sparrow, House Finch, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Song Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, White-breasted Nuthatch, American Goldfinch, Carolina Wren, and Red-eyed Vireo!

3 Likes

The doves make a mess of our bird feeders

1 Like

I haven’t seen a Blue Grosbeak in years!

1 Like