Boost Infinite billing credits extended

Screenshot_20240202-124517

4 Likes

I just received an email from Boost Infinite indicating that I’ll continue to receive billing credits as a former RW subscriber, as long as I keep my current plan. They’re also tossing in free hotspot usage.

I had been planning to look for a new plan past the 6-month availability of credits, but I’ll likely stick with BI for now.

5 Likes

Yup, I just logged in to post the same thing, haha.

4 Likes

We just got that text message too. That Hotspot is a $10 value, I wonder if it is on both phones or just one per account?

2 Likes

I got it too. This is great news. I’ve actually had no issues so I’d rather stay put. Doesn’t say there is a time limit so I’m guessing forever unless you switch. 33 bucks for 2 lines with unlimited data and hotspot? Yes please.

3 Likes

Same here! Have to wonder if my “problem” and escalations have stirred the pot. But despite this deal, I want my RW phone unlocked so I can leave this plan. Among other things, I received yet another billing notification at 1AM. Was going to try to block them completely but was awaiting replies to my issue. My impression is they want to retain customers no matter what! I’m just afraid that trying to keep me into some “contract” for 1 year, they will still not unlock my phone.

1 Like

I started asking about when my credits would roll off because I was going to switch. However I wonder if it’s more due to the market performance of 2023. Earnings are down across industries. They probably figure keeping us at that rate is a way better proposition then seeing a relatively mass exodus of paying customers.

1 Like

Just received the same email within the past hour. We’ll be staying with Boost Infinite for now, and will see how it goes…

1 Like

You’re on to something but I don’t think it’s market performance overall. I think it’s specific to DISH Wireless, LLC’s performance. DISH Wireless, LLC has done nothing but bleed subscribers across multiple brands since entering the wireless market with the acquisition of Boost Mobile as part of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. They really cannot afford to continue reporting subscriber losses.

4th quarter numbers to be reported sometime this month will be very interesting.

2 Likes

I just got this e-mail a few minutes ago and a text message a few minutes before that. The text reads:

BST-INFINITE: As a former Republic Wireless customer, we’ve extended your bill credits, indefinitely & hotspot will be enabled starting Feb. 7th. Rest. Apply.

This does address my complaint about Boost not accepting liabilities of RW in the deal. If the e-mail means what it says, I’m good for however long they are willing to do this. Mine was an Ambassador line. If the credits continue it is impossible for me to not stay up to date on my bill. :slight_smile:

I guess I’ll find out if the Canada roaming works on my next trip. I’ll still spend the ~$5 on the eSIM profile to be sure I have some form of service for the next trip. If the Boost line works there then all is good, if not, I have the backup for roaming data. Burning five bucks to cover myself is not that big a waste if things work as they should.

2 Likes

I was stressing out over the 6-month deadline approaching. I never get good news. This sort of thing never happens to me! What a blessing it was to open this e-mail!

2 Likes

This may work out as a great deal for some members evaluating whether to switch after grandfather period + meet Dish/BI goal of retaining customers. As a low use customer, I can still get a lower cost plan w/online desktop page, no annoying after midnight notifications, etc. and the assurance my RW phone is unlocked. That’s me.

In my notes regarding recent conversations, I mentioned the loss of RW customers during the transition and that others were just waiting out the 6 months. But I simply hadn’t had time to dedicate to evaluating other plans and no idea my RW phone was locked. I responded that I’d still like to leave plan so will see what happens. I have a SIM card about to expire because am locked to BI. Hope this works for everyone.

1 Like

I think you are onto something too. I wouldn’t be entirely too surprised if they shutter Boost Infinite…Or…divest to someone else.

1 Like

Who knows, maybe they can get the “rainbow SIM” stuff working on more phones besides high end Iphones. If that happens, they will have something that could be VERY beneficial to a LOT of folks. My “dream” mobile service would be one that used all the big 3 carriers, and had satellite backup for emergency calls (or even just texting).

1 Like

“Rainbow” SIM compatibility is not limited to Apple’s iPhone 15 series. There are a handful of compatible Androids:

Generally, only these and newly released phones going forward will compatible. Few previously released phones are hardware compatible.

It is a shame they do not have any Pixels on that list.
Is project Genesis by Dish different from the Rainbow SIm/Esim ?

1 Like

My understanding is the Pixel 8 series is hardware compatible with what DISH currently calls the Boost Wireless Network - America’s Smart Network. As of yet, DISH/Google has not certified them for use on that network. Whether that will change? :man_shrugging: Notably, DISH/Boost does not sell Pixels and with the possible exception of Apple’s iPhone 15 series, there is currently no BYOD for “rainbow” SIMs.

It’s the same network and the same SIM. Currently there is one phone being sold for Project Genesis, I believe, the 2023 Moto Edge+. There is no BYOD option for Project Genesis.

Going into the weeds, VoNR (5G voice) is not yet active in all “smart” network markets. To compensate, Project Genesis uses a dual SIM kludge. In “smart” network markets where VoNR is not currently available, an AT&T network (or possibly T-Mobile network) physical SIM is used for voice and text messaging. Data is handled by a hidden “smart” network eSIM.

The “smart” network switching isn’t all that revolutionary. There’s no Google Fi like (or even old style Republic) network switching among otherwise incompatible networks. Even Fi no longer uses such network switching.

Unlike 3G and older technologies 4G LTE and 5G is compatible across all U.S. wireless networks. What used to take proprietary technology can now be accomplished with garden variety domestic roaming (the same as when old Republic Sprint network service would roam on Verizon). Thankfully, the whole legacy of mutually incompatible GSM/CDMA technology no longer exists.

In theory, phones activated on DISH’s “smart” network with “rainbow” SIMs will, when native DISH coverage is unavailable, roam to AT&T and/or T-Mobile. The idea coverage will dynamically switch among 3 networks (DISH/AT&T/T-Mobile) depending on which is best as one walks down the street or is riding around in their vehicle is vastly overstated.

2 Likes

This is great news
I am having no problems with Boost on my 2 phones

2 Likes

I wonder how many RW customers hung on through transitions and were on fence about switching after 6 months and/or inquiring about it. Enough to make a dent in loss of subscribers?

Funny, another week elapsed since escalation of my second ticket. I had been asked to accept a response by text even though I preferred email format. So, I about to call again when this text extending credits popped up and I thought it was strictly in answer to my ticket and a deal to appease when instead it went to all RW customers :smile: I had been told on previous call that there was absolutely no longer any affiliation between RW and BI. I still have concerns about stability of company but glad they recognized RW as there must still be more than a handful of old customers? The 2nd person helping me was very nice and interesting convo about RW.

2 Likes

In and of themselves, no. Republic Wireless members numbered around 200,000 when DISH acquired Republic. DISH first entered retail wireless with the purchase of Boost Mobile in July 2020. Literally, every quarter since, DISH has reported loss of wireless subscribers now across multiple brands in the millions (somewhere around 2 million). If every acquired Republic (and Ting Mobile) subscriber stayed (they didn’t), it wouldn’t come close to offsetting the losses at Boost.

The above said, the market is looking for evidence DISH is capable of growing its wireless business whatever the brand. To date, DISH hasn’t come close to demonstrating that. Seemingly, DISH has decided better to sacrifice ARPU (average revenue per user) to save as many subscribers as possible to avoid reporting continuing subscriber loss. Given their current circumstances, it’s the correct business decision. Will it be enough, in and of itself, not even close.

Well, though DISH no longer offers wireless service via the Republic brand, it still owns the brand. And, DISH owns Boost Infinite. So, in that sense, there remains an affiliation.

It would be interesting to know how many of the 200,000 acquired Republic subscribers stuck out both the post acquisition transitions at Republic and the migration to Boost Infinite but we’ll never really know. What we seem to know is many did not but I suspect many did. Was it 75%, 50% or some other number? :man_shrugging:

1 Like