Are You Having Cellular Connectivity Issues?

The RW Users Community was founded by present and past members (customers) of Republic Wireless. The focus of this Community isn’t limited to the entity calling itself Republic Wireless by DISH, however, this particular article is intended for those currently doing business with that entity.

Due to changes made by DISH, specifically the move away from RW’s proprietary WiFi-first technology, some current RW customers are experiencing connectivity issues. This article addresses cellular connectivity issues.

If you are having WiFi connectivity issues or cellular connectivity issues with another service provider, please post a topic here. We’ll do our best to help. Otherwise, please read on.

Identifying Your Plan

To identify your plan, please do the following:

1. Sign into your Republic account here: Phones | Republic Wireless
  2. Note what is said under “My Plan”

If among the words under My Plan you see “Only What You Need”, “Everything You Want” or 'Everywhere You Go", please read the Republic 5.0 section of this post.

If among the words under My Plan you see “My Choice”, please skip past the Republic 5.0 section and read the My Choice section of this post.

Republic 5.0

Remove or disable the old Republic app then restart the phone. Do not reinstall the old Republic app. If removing the old Republic app is insufficient to restore cellular connectivity, please read on.

Generally, cellular connectivity issues on Republic 5.0 are resolved using the steps in this Republic Help Center article: Finish Setting Up Your Phone.

If using an Android phone, CarrierApp is strongly recommended rather than attempting manual APN input. If you’ve already installed CarrierApp and are still struggling with cellular connectivity issues, I suggest the following:

1. Uninstall CarrierApp
  2. Reset the phone’s APNs to defaults
  3. Reinstall CarrierApp
  4. Open Settings
  5. Tap Connections (Samsung phones) or Network & internet (Google Pixels and Motorola phones)
  6. Tap Mobile network(s)
  7. Tap Access Point Names (you may need to tap Advanced first)
  8. Verify Internet (Samsung phones) or ereseller (Google Pixels and Motorola phones) is selected (the dot to the right is colored in)
  9. Restart the phone

If using an iPhone, forget anything you’ve just read above. Just follow the steps from the iPhone drop-down menu in the previously referenced help article.

If tweaking the phone’s APNs doesn’t restore cellular connectivity, the next step is a network settings reset followed by a redo of the above. Please note, a network settings reset does have the unfortunate side effect of removing any stored WiFi password or Bluetooth pairings.

My Choice

Please try the following in order and stopping at the step that resolves the issue:

1. Remove or disable the old Republic app then restart the phone. Ideally this would be done in an area of reasonably robust cellular signal. Do not reinstall the Republic app. If connectivity issues are resolved, you’re done. If not, proceed to step 2.
  2. If the issue is limited to MMS (picture and group messaging), skip to step 3. If calls, text messaging and/or cell data are not working; perform a network settings reset. Likewise; this would ideally be done in an area of reasonably robust cell signal as otherwise doing so might very well not work. If connectivity issues are resolved, you’re done. If not, please proceed to step 3.
  3. Reset APNs to defaults. If connectivity issues are resolved, you’re done. If not, proceed to step 4.
  4. If resetting APNs to defaults fails; manually enter T-Mobile’s generic bring your own phone APN (cellular coverage for My Choice plans is provisioned on T-Mobile’s network).
  • Open Settings
  • Tap Connections or Network and internet (depending upon phone)
  • Tap Mobile network(s)
  • Tap Access Point Names (you may need to tap Advanced first)
  • Tap Add to create a new APN
  • Name : T-Mobile
  • APN : Fast.t-mobile.com
  • Proxy : Not set
  • Port :Not set
  • Username : Not set
  • Password : Not set
  • Server : Not set
  • MMSC : http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
  • MMS proxy : Not set
  • MMS port : Not set
  • MCC : 310